Are you considering dermal fillers for the first time or know someone who is? Here are some important facts to think about before undergoing treatment.
1. Dermal fillers are injections used to fill out wrinkles and creases in the skin.
They can also be used to increase the volume and definition of the lips. Dermal fillers are particularly effective in helping plump up or reduce the deeper lines that are formed as the skin loses elasticity. This can be due to many factors such as lifestyle, aging and sun damage.
2. Not all practitioners are medically trained to administer dermal fillers treatments.
Most manufacturers of dermal fillers recommend that treatments should only be carried out by medical professionals, although this is not currently a legal requirement. I would strongly recommend that you consult a medical professional such as a trained nurse or doctor. As with any treatment of this nature, there are risks such as adverse allergic reactions that can happen with any procedure. A trained medical professional will be able to advise you on the most appropriate course of treatment and has a duty of care to protect you as a patient.
3. Not all dermal fillers are the same
Dermal fillers are made from a variety of materials and the effects can be either temporary or permanent, depending on the type of filler. There are many types of dermal fillers on the market. The most popular category of dermal fillers is hyaluronic acid. Each type works in a slightly different way with varying results.
Side effects are rare but can include redness, swelling, and bruising at the injection site. The filler may also show up under the skin as tiny bumps. This is a problem that often improves over time.
4. Dermal fillers made of hyaluronic acid are non-permanent and naturally occur in the body.
I would recommend non-permanent fillers such as Juvederm from Allergan pharmaceuticals which is made of a natural substance (hyaluronic acid). Hyaluronic acid occurs naturally in the body and is therefore metabolized in the body over time. Juvederm dermal fillers are considered the gold standard in dermal filler treatment as they are also refined and adjusted to suit specific treatment areas.
5. Results can vary from 9 months to over a year before non-permanent fillers require further treatment.
How long the results last varies from several months to over a year or two.
Some research shows that repeated injections may help stimulate the body’s own natural production of collagen. That will help reduce the number of lines and wrinkles. There is also some evidence that less filler is needed over time to achieve the same look.
6. Beware of the risks! Permanent fillers have the highest risk of complications.
The risks of dermal fillers depend on who performs them and the type of filler used. We would recommend not to use permanent fillers as they are have the highest risk of complications. General risks of dermal fillers include:
• problems such as rashes, swelling, itching and bruising
• the filler can move away from the intended treatment area over time
• you may have an immediate allergic reaction to the filler, which can lead to anaphylaxis
• in rare cases, the filler may form lumps under the skin (which may need to be treated with surgery or medication), or the filler could lead to tissue death (necrosis)
7. Dermal fillers should be massaged in to avoid lumps and bumps.
During the procedure, the practitioner injects the filler in a series of small injections and should always gently massage the area to ensure there are no lumps or bums and the filler has been evenly distributed. Some treatments require a local anesthetic cream or injection. The treatment time can vary from 30 minutes to an hour.
The area may be a little swollen and tender for 24 hours and during that time you may be advised to avoid things including coffee, alcohol, hot drinks and the sun.
8. Research, research, research!
We cant emphasis this enough. If you are looking to have dermal filler treatment or any other type of procedure, it is extremely important that you do extensive research and see someone who is dedicated to giving you the results you wish to see and so rightly deserve.